Steam is one of the fastest growing multimedia digital distribution platforms in the industry today. A rich web presence and strong web backend are central to the architecture of Steam. The Steam team and Valve game teams are seeking senior level engineers who can help design, implement, and ship new features on the web in addition to strengthening the web-based architectural components of the platform.
As a part of our extremely motivated and experienced group of people, you'll work with Valve's game and Steam development teams to add exciting new web-based features to our best-of-breed computer games and pioneering e-commerce platform.
- Working as part of Valve's core development team, adding web applications and components to our best-of-breed computer games and pioneering e-commerce platform
- Regularly shipping a variety of products from small internal tools to large-scale web applications used by millions of people per month
- Directly and meaningfully impacting the experience of those players & customers
- Developing an understanding of Valve's player community and contributing creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products
- Improving internal visibility of various game-related and steam-related data
- Following through from project inception through design to detailed completion
- Iterating on solutions based on internal and external (customer) feedback
- Developing end-to-end data management solutions including database schema and performance tuning
- Rapidly prototyping web user interfaces
- Participating in the design process, gathering requirements with other engineers and designers
- Creating measurable success
- Creating open and re-usable web application components
- Being self-directed and be able to prioritize your own workload
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years professional experience in software development
- PHP or similar web programming language (Java, Python, Ruby, C#/.NET)
- HTML and CSS
- MS SQL / Oracle / MySQL
- C/C++ experience is desirable but not required