As a user experience designer at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, artists, writers, animators and designers who are continually creating and releasing social entertainment experiences. We’re hoping to add your expertise in visual communication, user experience design, usability, writing, and marketing to our team. We hire generalists who also exhibit deep expertise. Designers at Valve contribute in a wide variety of ways: We define and articulate goals, we design and publish user interfaces, architectures, layouts and graphics, we create and implement user studies, we write press releases and blog posts, we manage projects, and much more. We also recruit designers like you.
At Valve, our design process really gets going once products are in customers’ hands. Our best work is the result of an ongoing dialog with customers. This is fundamental to the way we create great products. Through years of shipping software as a service through Steam, our digital distribution platform, we’ve learned to include our customers in the entirety of the design process. With an engaged community of millions of users, what will you ship? What will you try, and what will you learn through doing so?
Do you prefer to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply following a vision that’s been set for you? If you’re seeking an opportunity to steer product definition, functional exploration and design decision-making, consider joining Valve. We can’t wait to see where you’ll take us.
- A thorough understanding of graphic and user interaction design principles
- A degree in graphic, industrial, or interaction design (or equivalent)
- Effective design communication and problem solving skills
- Highly effective multidisciplinary collaboration skills
- Experience launching products and iterating based on customer feedback
- A personal commitment to quality with an attention to detail
- Confidence with design communication tools
Please include with your application an online portfolio of work which conveys your capabilities.